Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ragnarok Is Nigh!!

So, I sit here at almost 6 in the morning, working on designs for characters present at the Ragnarok.... posting up some in progress images, partly to keep myself in this habit, and partly to show others working on the same thing where I'm at.


First is a Frost Giant. I was originally thinking of Modi, but my understanding is that he was on the side of the gods(Thor being his father). Also, I have another little sketch that I feel is more in keeping with what I've read of Modi's character, this one's intended to be scary and menacing(part of my sketch for his face is in the upper right, where his big grin is visible).

Granted, Modi could be friendly to the gods and still be menacing. Reading into Norse mythos, it's pretty aparent why the Giants hated the gods. The gods were dicks. Still, the character in my mind is a little less visually frightening, so I'll see if I can get something done for him.


This is the above Giant's axe. I was thinking of naming it 'God Slayer', or something along the lines of killing the divine, or bringing about a terrible death. I'll ask my Icelandic friend if he knows of something fitting that I could use, along with appropriate symbols in the design. Currently there's a symbol that, according to some chart, can mean man or death. The triangle thing is a valknut. My thinking being that it bestows men with the valknut(knot of the fallen).
Jormungandm, The Serpent.
Still working on this marker rendering, bringing out the form. I'm implementing my nice new French Gray markers I got for christmas and my new large, chisel-tip Copic markers :D
The thing on the right of him is a possible tail, still haven't decided whether or not I want to put it on(hence my not having gone around that area yet). I was thinking of something slug-like when I began with this. I know the descriptions are of him as a serpent, but I was hoping to make it scarier by disconnecting it a bit from more conventional creatures. Having the teeth run all the way up the jaws would probably help make it look more menacing.... though i've markered in too far for that now. But I suppose when I start making digital variations, I'll try that out.This is another version of Jormungand that I did. I sort of think this looks cooler, but it's also more conventional. Personally, I think I could make this look good more easily. However, I'm going to stick it out with the other, in order to facilitate greater opportunity for exploration.

Enough chatter, back to work!

No comments: