Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Still Life

I hate traditional still lifes. You know, the fruits/bowls and shit? I just don't understand the motivation to spend so much time regularly drawing mundane objects. I understand studying them to understand the structure, but this never seems to go under the "still life" designation. Those always appear to be called "studies", instead. It also seems that teachers never want to assign to go break down how chairs are built or something, instead I get an assignment to see if I can render value, with my subject being a bunch of mundane objects. I think that the issue is that I want to draw a specific thing. For example, don't tell me to draw a house, or some pears, tell me to draw THAT house. I suppose the core of my negative attitude is that they're non-descript subjects(which means they're very uninteresting and lacking personality), I have to do a strict render(which means I can't stylize and ADD personality), and that I feel like I've done enough of these to finally merit the opportunity to try rendering exercises with imaginary forms. Instead of all of these mundane subjects, how about letting me practice imaginary forms?

I know that the extent of my aversion to still lifes is uncalled for. But for whatever reason they just bother the hell out of me. I'm fine with the idea of doing a study to understand how to execute some object's look in a larger project.... but spending several hours doing a composition with such objects is somehow devastating to my work ethic. Granted, I still do it, though I somehow can't help but bitch and grumble :/

Basically, if I'm going to be drawing lifeless objects, don't make me do just 4 shots and spend hours on each, let me do quick breakdowns. If I'm going to be doing an intensive render, let me do it of a more interesting object, or let me add life and a piece of myself to it. Strict renders of simple objects don't let me do that.


No comments: